Google co-founder Larry Page made an unexpected announcement of restructuring of Google, putting it under an umbrella of Alphabet, Inc, a new corporate boss that holds various divisions, including Calico, Fiber, Google etc. and shifted himself and Brin as a CEO & President of this new company.
Page has appointed Sunder Pichai, a Chennai born Indian Businessman, new CEO of Google.
Introduction of Alphabet, Inc.
Alphabet is mostly a collection of companies. The largest of which, of course, is Google. This newer Google is a bit slimmed down, with the companies that are pretty far afield of our main Internet products contained in Alphabet instead.
Alphabet Inc., will consist of the following entities:
- Fiber (internet access)
- Google (Search, Maps, YouTube, Android, Ads, Apps)
- Google Ventures (VC investing)
- Google Capital (investment fund)
- Google X (auto-driving cars, Google Glass, internet by balloon, moonshots)
- Life Sciences (the glucose sensing contact lens people)
- Nest (smoke alarms, home camera, thermostats & connected home devices)
Know a Little About The New CEO:
Around a year ago, Microsoft was courting the man, and a couple of years ago Twitter tried to get him on board. But the senior management in Google reports, in desperation, retained Pichai.
On 13 March 2013, Pichai added Android to the Google products he oversees. Android was formerly managed by Andy Rubin. He was rumored to be one of the contenders for the CEO position of Microsoft in 2014.