Backlinks are one of the most crucial factors in determining the ranking of a website on search engines. A backlink, also known as an inbound link or an incoming link, is a link from one website to another. It is considered a vote of confidence from one website to another. The more high-quality backlinks a website has, the higher it ranks on search engines.
In the past, backlinks were a major ranking factor for search engines. However, due to the rise of spammy link-building practices, search engines have become more cautious in considering the quality of backlinks. Nowadays, it’s not just about the quantity of backlinks, but also the quality of backlinks.
DETERMINANTS OF QUALITY OF BACKLINK
The quality of a backlink is determined by several factors, including the authority of the linking domain, the relevance of the linking page, the anchor text used in the link, and the context of the linking page. A high-quality backlink is one that comes from a website that has high authority, is relevant to the content of the linked page, uses relevant and natural anchor text, and is placed in a context that is relevant to the content of the linked page.
HOW TO EARN BACKLINKS NATURALLY
Earning natural backlinks to your website is a crucial aspect of SEO. It is important to note that there are several ways to earn backlinks, and not all of them are created equal. Here are some tips for earning natural backlinks to your website:
- Create high-quality content: The best way to earn backlinks is to create high-quality content that people want to link to. By providing valuable and relevant content to your target audience, you increase the likelihood of people linking to your website.
- Reach out to relevant websites: Another way to earn backlinks is to reach out to relevant websites in your niche and offer them valuable content that they can link to. This can include guest posting, contributing to round-up posts, or offering to create a resource that they can link to.
- Build relationships with influencers: Building relationships with influencers in your industry can also help you earn backlinks. By building trust and providing value to influencers, you increase the likelihood of them linking to your website.
FOLLOW VS NO FOLLOW LINKS
Understanding the difference between follow and nofollow links is also important in the context of backlinks. A follow link is a link that passes on link equity from one website to another. This means that a follow link can help improve the ranking of the linked website. A nofollow link, on the other hand, does not pass on any link equity. This means that a nofollow link does not help improve the ranking of the linked website.
While follow links are generally considered more valuable than nofollow links, it is important to note that a natural backlink profile should include a mix of both types of links. This is because a natural backlink profile is more diverse and less likely to be penalized by search engines.
Conducting a backlink audit for your website is also important in ensuring that your backlink profile is healthy and free of spammy links. A backlink audit involves analyzing the backlinks to your website and identifying any spammy or low-quality links that may be hurting your website’s ranking.
To conduct a backlink audit, you can use tools like Ahrefs, SEMrush, or Moz. These tools provide a comprehensive analysis of your backlink profile, including the number of backlinks, the quality of the backlinks, and the anchor text used in the links. By identifying and removing any spammy or low-quality links, you can improve the overall health of your backlink profile and improve your website’s ranking.
As we delved into the topic of backlinking for SEO and have explored the importance and quality factors that determine the success of the backlinking strategy, let’s address some frequently asked interview questions about backlinking that can help you ace your next SEO job interview. Also,we have createda an SEO Challenge to put your SEO Knowledge to test. Check it out as well.
1. What is SEO?
SEO or Search engine optimization is a set of activities undertaken by people to make their website or webpage more comprehensible/attractive for the search engine algorithm. When a webpage or website is properly optimized, it appears in top positions for the queries on a search engine.
The purpose of SEO is to increase the organic or unpaid traffic to your website or webpage through organic search engine results.
2. What is on-page & off-page SEO?
- On-page: The process of optimizing web pages by influencing internal factors like content quality, HTML source code, content structure, keyword density, meta title and description, page title, url structure, internal linking, etc. is called on-page SEO.
- Off-page: Improving the performance of a website on a search engine with the help of external factors like link building, blog directory submissions, forum submissions, social bookmarking, social media engagement, etc. is called Off-page SEO.
3. What are canonical URLs?
When the same or similar content is being used at different places within your website, the canonical URL function helps in specifying the source that should be considered as ‘original’ by the search engine. It, therefore, solves the problem of duplicate content by directing the search engine to the most preferred source.
4. What do you understand by backlinking & why is it important in SEO?
A backlink is a hyperlink on another website that leads a user to your website. In SEO, backlinks are of immense importance as the number and quality of backlinks have a huge impact on the popularity & performance of a website. Backlinks are one of the main factors that affect the domain authority of a website.
5. What are the different methods of backlinking?
Some of the popular methods of backlinking are forum posting, blog commenting, guest posts on related websites, broken link method, skyscraper technique, etc.
6) What do you mean by Backlink?
The incoming links to your website or webpage are referred to as Backlink. It is also called as an inbound link.
7) What are outbound Links?
The outbound links are Links, from your website to another webpage or website.
8) Explain Googlebot
To index and update a webpage Google uses the Googlebot (Web Spider). Caching, Crawling and indexing of a webpage are done through Googlebot by collecting details from that
9) What is Cross-linking? What is the function of Crosslinking?
- Cross-linking is the process of linking one site to another site.
- It provides users with reference sites that contain the content related to the search.
- The 2 websites cross-linking do not be owned by the same person.
- In other words, cross-linking is a barter wherein I link to you, and you link to me.
- It could be a 2-way link or 3-way link. In a 2-way link site A links to site B and site B links to site A. In a 3-way link, site A links to site B, site B links to site C and site C links to site A.
10) What do you mean by Cloaking?
Cloaking is a deceptive way of optimizing your website for search. In this technique, different content will be shown to the search engine crawler than what is presented to the end users.
11) What is Google Sandbox?
Google sandbox is an imaginary area where new websites and their search rating are put on hold until they prove worthy for ranking. In other words, it checks the standard of the website.
12) State the difference between ‘nofollow’ and ‘dofollow’ link
Nofollow links do not pass Link juice and have no impact on Google Ranking Algorithm. Dofollow link passes link juice and has an impact on Google Ranking Algorithm.
13) What is considered as more significant, creating content or building backlinks?
Both are necessary for creating quality content is equally important to building backlinks. Although link building is useful in building authority to a site and for ranking as well, quality content is the first element that is considered to be more responsible for ranking.
14) What are Webmaster tools?
Webmaster tool is a service provided by Google from where you can get backlink information, crawl errors, search queries, Indexing data, CTR, etc.
15) What is robots.txt?
Robots.txt is a text file. It is through this file. It gives instruction to search engine crawlers about indexing and caching of a webpage, file of a website or directory, domain.
16) How will you neutralize a toxic link to your site?
Through Backlink Quality Checker you can know who links to your website. Now, you have to go to ‘Toxic link’ report, where you will find all the links, that are harmful to your websites. If there is any link in ‘Toxic link report’ that matches with the link on your website, then you can remove it by using ‘Google Disavov tool’.
17) How can you check if someone is not building or redirecting a low-quality backlink to your site?
To prevent someone from building or redirecting a low-quality link to your site, you can use tools like,
- Open Site Explorer
On regular intervals. You can either request the webmaster to remove the bad link or disavow them.
18) How do backlink tools work?
Backlink tools run a series of tests to tell you how many backlinks are pointing to the web link you entered. Additional information is also being collected like anchor text used, Domain Authority & Trust of the backlink source, and any potential flags or warnings for each link.
19) How often should you perform a link audit?
A link audit may be a tedious and complicated process. If you have just started on building links, you can do an audit quite often. But a complete link audit should be done approximately once a year.
20) What do you understand by Frames in HTML?
A-Frame in HTML is a technique that divides the content of a page onto several parts. Search engines consider Frames as completely different pages and may have a negative impact on SEO. We should avoid the usage of Frames and use basic HTML instead.